Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Friday 24 September 2010

SMASH!

Every time I draw a cover, the image in the back of my mind is this cool cover from 1966 by the legendary Leo Baxendale. It made a very substantial impression on me back on that snowy Thursday morning and still to this day for me it's the epitome of a funny, busy, friendly cover. In 2001 I told Leo it was my favourite cover, and asked if he recalled it. He said "I remember drawing the cover with Bad Penny in her fort - I was very pleased with it". Me too. I still am. It's great, isn't it?!

4 comments:

Lew Stringer said...

That cover made a big impression on me too Nigel. I attempted a similar image for a page in my 1986 Brickman comic, but it never had the power and fun of Leo's version.

When I was scanning a few images for Paul Gravett's book 'Great British Comics' I made sure that Smash cover was included so now it's reached a new audience (and rekindled some nostalgia too hopefully).

Peter Gray said...

You can't beat Leo's poster pages..
there should be a book on this subject..with Swots and the Blots..Bash street..Banana bunch..etc..poster pages..

Mike said...

Was the flying phantom fighter actually any good, though?

Lew Stringer said...

Yeah those free cardboard planes were always good fun, and longer lasting than some of today's cheapo plastic gifts.