Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Monday 27 September 2010

An Old Friend

Fairly soon there's going to be a very pleasant surprise for anyone who fears for the future of one of our most cherished institutions.

You know how sometimes an old friend goes off the rails a bit. Maybe wears clothes that don't suit them or a funky haircut that just isn't right? Or starts using language that offends you a bit? Maybe you turn your back on them for a while, See them at a distance maybe and don't like what they've turned into?

And then, one glorious day, you see them again and they've changed again- this time for the better. Sure, they're not exactly the same as they were before, but they look great and they're friendly and funny again, and one or two features are familiar but this time the brand new things about them are just great and you really like them and you just feel so, so glad you're friends again.

Ever had that sort of experience?

Yet?

5 comments:

Kid said...

Oh dear. Please don't tell me that they're going to relaunch THE BEANO as a "yoof-style" mag, like they did with THE DANDY a few years back? That practically killed it. Or are they going to restore THE DANDY to its previous style? I wouldn't mind that.

NP said...

I can assure you this has nothing to do with the Beano.
More news as it happens...

Kid said...

Er, BLACK BOB then?

Kev T said...

NP I just hope Korky is back on the cover, Winker wows us with some new wangles & maybe Greedy Pig nicking a few pies....and of course some new classic friends!!!!!

Spencer said...

Nigel, this sounds like excellent news to me! OK, kids like 'fart' and 'belch' gags but not ALL THE TIME!!(Trust me, I've got 2 of my own rascals). If your next clue mentions 'more comic strips' and 'weekly' publishing, I will be even more excited!

Although, both my sons and I will miss Cuddles and Dimples - we have all loved your take on that family.. Kind of feels a bit too familiar to me at times though!!