Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Monday 19 November 2012

History of the Dandy

32 years ago today I got my first pay cheque from D C Thomson for a two-page story I drew for a long defunct comic. It would be another eighteen months before I got my first break on The Dandy- and even then it was on a new project, 'Dandy Comic Libraries'. I drew Bully Beef and Chips, Colonel Blink, Corporal Clott, the Jocks and the Geordies, L Cars and even 'Send for Kelly' over the next few years, all for these little 64 page booklets. Here's a typical one by me- relax, the cover is by Steve Bright (in a very restrained mood!) but the insides were all by me. It would be 1985 before I got into The Dandy proper, ghosting some Bully beef and Chips. There's a great story behind the creation of one of those, let me tell ya! Then I did Spotted Dick, Dinah Mo and a couple of other things. And then there was a gap between 1990 and 1997 when I inexplicably did nothing at all for The Dandy, before I was finally invited to take on Owen Goal as an ongoing series. Since then, I've been in 670 issues of The Dandy and I'll be in the very last printed edition on December 4th as well. See you there.

1 comment:

John Smith said...

what comic was this first comic that you drew for?