Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Friday 26 August 2011

Mum fans Special

The Dandy's famous toddling twosome, Cuddles and Dimples, was originally drawn by Barrie Appleby. When I took over in 2004, I only made one minor change- I made their mum less of a dolly bird and more of a... well, Hot Wife as someone once said.
This is probably her most famous appearance, from 26 May 3007, and, trust me, there IS a reason for the costumes, a really, really good reason. Escapes me for the moment... I was fully expecting someone at DC Thomson to draw in a tasteful coat or something on mum, but to my surprise, they didn't! And I know that one or two people have expressed their fondness for this particular frame.
Oh well, too late now. 
Coloured by Ruth.

5 comments:

Peter Gray said...

I did like Cuddles and Dimples..and the mum..:))

Kid said...

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Well done sir! When Ken H. Harrison was drawing The Broons, Maggie was an utter babe. Unfortunately, current artist Peter Davidson has made her frumpy. Mike Higg's Lady Shady used to feed my young fantasies as well. We need more GGA.

James Spiring said...

3007? Got a Tardis have you? lol. Actually, this week's Dandy has a similar goof, apparently the Amazing World of Gumball is ©Cartoon Network 20011!

julius said...

I can't believe this got into the Dandy!


I found some old issues a few years ago and could not believe what they were getting away with in Cuddles and Dimples!

Anonymous said...

A woman who knows how to handle an enormous chopper.