Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
This is him, more hirsuite than ever. 2014. Let's see what happens...

Friday, 29 April 2011

Stand By For Action!

At the beginning of 1993 Alan Fennell offered me a dream job- drawing Stingray (adapting a TV episode he'd written thirty years earlier!)
Of course, pretty quickly, the dream turned a bit nightmarish, as, true to form, I already had a pretty full diary but didn't dare turn down such an opportunity. Anyway, rushing to meet deadlines, I struggled by, drawing a whopping ten pages (including these, right and below), inking them and hand-colouring them.The page here (right) was finished at Alan's desk at Fleetway, Calley Emmas, art director, helping out, as I overlaid a sheet of white letratone to help with that foggy look! Alan was getting us sandwiches.





And left is a page I nearly got half right.
I'll say no more. It was fun. Of a nerve wracking kind!

2 comments:

Kid said...

Wow! STINGRAY! Funnily enough, they remind me of the SUPERCAR artwork style in TVC21, but I guess that's because you were trying to get the 'puppet look' (as far as likenesses go). Nice 'though.

wayne thompson said...

Great artwork Nigel.