Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Friday 1 June 2012

My first Beano annual job

In 1997 I finally got to work for The Beano after many years of trying! The late Ken Cummings was the canny lad who offered me work, and after a handful of 'Comic Libraries', then-Beano editor, Euan Kerr, gave me this- my first annual job!

I thought maybe one or two readers may like to see this, one of the very few examples I have of script/rough/finished work I still retain.

1. Euan's letter including the script.
2. Euan's quick sketch of what he wanted. This wasn't a regular occurance- but Euan did do this when he had a specific layout in mind.
3. My initial rough- really a working out of characters and positions and so on.You'll see that I rejected some ideas while others are virtually finished.
4. The final black and white page.
If you want to see what it looked like once I'd coloured it- it's in the Beano Book for 2001!

4 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Very good...must check ut my 2001 annual again..

Harry Rickard said...

I remember this! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this - it's fascinating in a lot of different ways. For example, did the "Numskulls boy" really not have a name in 1997? (He had spent years known only as "Our Man" in the Beezer after all!) I had no idea Euan Kerr was such a good artist! And I love how he felt he had to explicitly discourage any "hanky-panky"...

Anonymous said...

This is actually in the Beano Book 2000.